A Tenacious Winter Storm Now Has the Northeast in Its Sights

In locations already hit by the storm, problems remained into Friday. Schools and colleges in numerous states canceled classes, and chauffeurs in Texas discovered themselves stuck in frigid temperatures overnight, after an eighteen-wheeler jackknifed on Interstate 10 in Kerrville, about 60 miles northwest of San Antonio.
A minimum of two people sustained serious injuries, and one later died at a hospital, said Sgt. Jonathan Lamb of the Kerrville Police Department. Lots of others were stranded for about 10 hours before authorities might clear the busy highway by Friday afternoon.
In Celeste, northeast of Dallas, a woman was discovered dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in a garage, the Hunt County sheriff informed regional press reporters.
Gov. Greg Abbott called todays storm “one of the most substantial icing events that weve had in the State of Texas in at least several years.” 3 to five inches of snow had fallen on some locations north and west of Fort Worth by Friday, according to the National Weather Service.

By Friday night, the storm had knocked out power to more than 250,000 houses and businesses, mostly in Tennessee, Ohio and New York.
Texas had less than 20,000 interruptions by that time, bringing relief to homeowners scarred by the memory of an eight-day freeze almost a year ago, when a widespread failure of the electrical grid plunged the state into darkness and declared the lives of more than 240 individuals.

More than 3,900 flights in the United States were canceled on Friday, with the highest number at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport, Boston Logan International Airport and La Guardia Airport in New York, according to FlightAware, a tracking site. That followed countless flights canceled earlier in the week, filling airports and neighboring hotels with stranded tourists.

Approximately an inch of sleet was anticipated late Friday in parts of northern Connecticut, southeastern Massachusetts and northern Rhode Island, while Portland, Maine, might get as much as 2 inches. In the Boston area and across southern New England, rain was forecast to develop into freezing rain, and after that sleet, leading to icy road conditions.
“That sleet is going to be a bit harder to clean up, due to the fact that were not going to get much assistance from warm temperatures,” stated Sarah Thunberg, a meteorologist with the Weather Service in Portland, Maine.
Buffalo, N.Y., and northern Vermont might see snow accumulation of as much as 14 inches by Saturday, according to the Weather Service, with 6 to 12 inches anticipated throughout central New Hampshire.

A tenacious winter storm that stranded tourists, closed schools and snarled roadways as it swept from New Mexico to New England this week continued to bring hazardous weather condition on Friday, dumping a mix of snow, sleet and ice on parts of the Northeast.
Heavy snow of more than a foot fell in northern parts of New York and New England, with ice the primary concern further south.
Extended bouts of freezing rain brought down tree branches and electrical lines in New Yorks Hudson Valley. Officials established overnight warming centers and declared a state of emergency in Ulster County, midway between New York City and Albany, the state capital.
The county executive, Pat Ryan, said that there were “near unprecedented numbers of tree limbs, trees and power lines down,” and that almost half of the countys citizens lacked electricity. New York City received rain but avoided the worst of the storm.

The impact of this weeks hazardous weather condition was likewise felt in Alabama, where a tornado eliminated one person near Sawyerville, south of Tuscaloosa, according to Russell Weeden, the director of emergency situation management for Hale County. He told regional press reporters that eight individuals had been hurt, consisting of three critically.
In Memphis, ice started building up from a continuous freezing rain on Thursday, resulting in traffic crashes, downed trees and power blackouts on Friday. Ice storm warnings were issued farther east, consisting of in parts of western Tennessee and Kentucky.
Edgar Sandoval contributed reporting from San Antonio, and Jesse McKinley from Albany, N.Y. Mike Ives and Jenny Gross also contributed reporting.